Monday, July 30, 2012

Change


The weekend just passed was hopefully our last weekend for a while in running around and getting stuff done.  One thing I (finally) did achieve was going to the RTA/RMS to change my surname.  I took a number, waited, handed over my marriage certificate, had my photo taken and five minutes later I was handed a new licence with Mrs J on it.

Hubby was beaming.  "It's official now" he said as we walked back to the car.  I held out my left  hand and asked if the ring that he made for me wasn't enough.  He said he was just happy that we now had the same surname.

This was a big deal for me.  When we first became engaged we had this conversation many times and each time I couldn't seem to win.  Maybe win isn't the right word.  I wanted both surnames.  Actually I wanted Hubby to take both surnames as well.  After all, by the time we were married I would have spent almost 30 years with my maiden name and I did not want to give it up.  For some people it is just a name, but for me I felt like it was so ingrained in my identity.   Hubby is normally so carefree, laid back, go with the flow, but with this conversation he became fired up and passionate.  It was tradition, it was his legacy and I think the word manhood even came into it.  

In the end, I did want us to have the same surname.  I wanted us to be Mr & Mrs J, and should our family expand, for our children to have the same surname as us.  Hubby wasn't going to take on mine so I agreed that I would take his, however I would be keeping my maiden name for work.  Hubby was more than happy with this arrangement.

Right now everything feels as it always has been.  Maybe it is just a name.  I do not feel any different as a person and in all honesty I am happy that we can now receive mail with Mr & Mrs J on it.  Now (on paper) we looked married, and I am excited to (officially) call myself Mrs J.  

Wow, I am a married woman, what on earth would Miss R have to say about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment