Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Theft


One of my biggest fears is the house getting broken into.  I do not fear losing our belongings.  It is the fear that a total stranger would walk into our private sanctuary, touch our things and learn so much about us, our likes, our family, our history, our future.  It is the complete invasion of privacy that I fear.   Having a no good person knowing me and my family so intimately.  It scares me.

When the house next door was near it's build completion, the hot water heater was stolen.  A week later, the day after the turf was laid, someone/s came along, rolled the turf up and nicked it too.  When we laid the turf Hubby was up ever hour checking on it.  It was fine.  The house next door was built by a very dodgy builder who had made a lot of ex employees very unhappy.  We knew it wasn't the area, it was a personal attack.

In fact this is a good area.  There are no graffiti hash tags lining the fences.  Never reports of drive by shootings.  It is a heavy family area, with kids everywhere, kids with responsible parents.  We felt safe buying the land and have felt safe since we moved in.

I kissed Hubby goodbye this morning and in under a minute he walked back in.

"You will never believe this."
"What"
"Someone has stolen our recycling bin."

Sure enough in the space of under 9 hours, the bin was gone.  Hubby even drove up and down the street making sure council hadn't driven off with it by mistake.  But it was gone.  Whoever did this had some balls.  The bin sits under a very bright street light, and you cannot smuggle it under your jacket.  He would have had to walk along the street or footpath with it.  He obviously knew what he was doing because he made sure he was very quiet about it.  I just hope he was stupid enough to leave our stickers on it so we can go hunting for it in a fortnight.  I also hope he took it in the middle of the night when it was full of rubbish.  

I am grateful it was just a bin.  I am also grateful that I make a huge effort to shred everything with our name, address, personal details and to put all that info in the safety bin at work.  I hope he enjoys having to deal with smelly milk bottles, broken wine bottles, numerous catalogues and clunky cardboard.

It is just so random.  I do not know how I feel about it.  I think I am still in shock, I mean really, who steals a bin?  Now I need to call council and arrange another one, and this one is getting spray painted hot pink so if it does get taken again they wouldn't be able to put it out on the kerb.  The only thing that I am thinking about now is that maybe we need to get off the Pug baby list and get onto the German Shepard baby list.  Maybe 

No comments:

Post a Comment