Monday, July 23, 2012

Eat Real Food


I sit here with two massive bruises on my left arm.  One on the inside of my elbow and another the size of a tennis ball on my left hand.  Even though they only needed to take blood 3 times I was pricked 5 times.  

A few years back when I had my bloods done the pathology technician (?) told me (as they were trying desperately to find a vein) that I could never be a heroine junkie.  I just stared at her.  Seriously?  I didn't know if she was trying to make me feel better or if it was some kind of an insult for taking so long?  For whatever reason they always struggle to find a vein.  This time I was asked if we were thinking about having children.  I said "maybe one day" and she laughed.  "Good luck with that.  You will need a lot of blood tests then" she said as she wiggled the needle around in my arm.

Suffice to say I will get the results next week.

Last week the goal was to go walking.  We walked on Monday, Tuesday.  And that was it.  First it was raining and then hubby became quite sick which left me exhausted as I was unable to sleep.  I did manage to continue getting up early most of the mornings but I couldn't bring myself to actually leave the house.  Of course thinking about it now it may have been just a little bit silly to decide to start walking at 6am in the middle of winter.  I think I will come back to this at the end of September.

This week I want to eat real food.  Which means I have a bit of a confession.  When Hubby and I first moved up here we left the house at 7am and came home at 7pm.  We came home exhausted and neither of us felt like cooking so we developed a bad take away habit.  Even though we don't travel like we used to, the take away habit appears to be a little too ingrained into us, as a few nights a week we still find ourselves picking up the phone or popping into drive "thru" on the way home.  This needs to stop.

So this week we cook.  We bought lots of fresh food on the weekend and stocked up the pantry and have no excuse at all not to cook.  And we are cooking real food.  Which means no stir through sauces, nothing with ingredients we don't recognise.  It may take longer but if we are going to cook then we are going to use real food.  I did some reading on the weekend and it fired me up to cook with real ingredients.  As my focus is on health right now this is the way it has to be.  Which is easy to say in the morning, I might feel differently after a full day of work.  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment