Friday, February 15, 2013

Mint Julep

My whole life I have only ever wanted to travel to two countries, England (which I achieved if only for a week) and America.  I don't know where this came from but I always had a thing for going to the US and seeing all the things you don't see on the Movies or the TV.  But I didn't want to just travel there for a few weeks and cram in as much as I could, I wanted to live over there for several years and experience all there was.  Of course I could never live anywhere in the world permanently, I would always have to come back Home to Australia.  But after I finished uni, I applied for a Green Card.  I had a vision of going over there, meeting a big burly NFL player and falling madly in love (I was single at the time).  Now things have changed but I would still love to go over there.  Don't tell our parents but we are trying our luck again with the Green Card and hopefully one year we will be lucky enough.  Until then, with Summer starting to slide away and disappear in the next few weeks, I felt this American Classic was just the thing.

2 1/2 shots Bourbon
2 tsp Water
1 tsp Caster Sugar
4 springs Mint
Muddle mint leaves with water and sugar in an old-fashioned glass.  Fill with ice and add Bourbon, mix for a minute or two to dilute and finish with more ice.  

Hubby: Too strong for me, just keep this at one, 2/5
Me: Refreshing, I was surprised how much mint I could taste but I enjoyed the flavour, it mixed well, just sip slowly, 4/5
Perfect for: Summer afternoons sitting outside soaking it up, ideal for horse racing.
Try it: Now, before Summer ends and also in November for the Racing Season.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, green card! That possibility is very exciting!

    We were planning a trip mid this year to America, and then we bought the house...! I've always wanted to go to. Top of the list (as lame as this sounds... Sex and the City tour in NYC!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too! We also want to spend NYE in NY too. We will get there one day and we might just bump into you :)

      Delete