Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Becoming

"We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are" - Oprah

I came across this quote yesterday and I cannot stop thinking about it.  I need to print it off onto some fancy paper and stick it all around the house and on my desk at work.  I don't want to say this but I have to; I feel like stumbling across this quote has been my "a-ha" moment, in Oprah speak.  But I need to go back.

I have always known that I would never truly be happy in the career 'segment' in my life until I was my own boss.  Which meant that I would never really be happy until I had my own business.  Throughout my 20's I had thousands of ideas and I would eagerly research those ideas until the next one popped in when I would drop everything and venture forth onto the next topic.  These ideas only ever remained that, ideas.  I was (and still am) the classic dreamer.  But deep down I knew within myself that one day I would be that entrepreneur with my own business living my dream

Lately I have felt stagnant at work.  I have been challenged there, but at the end of the day it is still the same thing.  It feels like a production line, but instead of sorting through items on a conveyor belt, you sort through paperwork and do the same thing each day.  I have been thinking about all those dreams I had, all those ideas and my dream of being my own boss and asking myself Why?  And then I found myself thinking, What?  What idea will it be that I finally take hold of and jump off the cliff and give it a go.

And then I read that quote yesterday.  I am not ready.  I need to become that woman in my head I visit everyday that has the life I envy, but I am not her yet and I never will be if I stay as I am.  That was the whole goal for 2013, to become that person and at the end of the year be ready to take those steps from turning dreams into something real.  The last month has felt like a lot of fluffing, a lot of 'paper sorting' but this quote is a nice reminder that I actually need to take action, I need to change and I need to become. 

2 comments: