Friday, January 25, 2013

Waltzing Matilda

Happy Australia Day (for tomorrow) it was only appropriate that I make an Aussie cocktail. However, when you think of Australia and booze you think of a bloke with a beer and 'shrimps on the barbie' or you think of wine with the highest alcohol content around.  The closest we come to having a cocktail would be 'Bundy and coke'. But after some searching around I stumbled upon the Waltzing Matilda.  Not only is this the perfect drink to serve tomorrow but I have added it to my list of things to make again.
4 shots dry white wine
1 shot gin
1 1/2 shots passion fruit juice
1/2 shot orange curaƧao
Sparkling ginger ale

Put all ingredients except the ginger ale into a cocktail shaker with ice.  Strain into a Highball glass and top with sparkling ginger ale.
(Note: I tried very hard but was unable to find straight passion fruit juice so I used an orange and passion fruit mix)

Hubby: Not too bad, mild flavour essentially wine with ginger, 3/5
Me: Perfect! Mild, refreshing, easy drinking, does not taste like a true cocktail, reminds me very much of punch, but I love it, 5/5
Perfect for: Australia Day! Any BBQ would be ideal, I would serve as a punch and sip away while soaking up the sun and enjoying a serve of lamb.
Try it: When you cannot decide between wine or a cocktail, also handy for making a bad wine drinkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment