Monday, January 28, 2013

Duck Fat Potatoes

Jamie Oliver taught me to boil and use duck fat, but it was Gordon Ramsay who taught me to rinse and heat.  Here is what I do to achieve the perfect baked potato.

Peel the potatoes and cut into desired sizes, once cut rinse under water as this will get rid of all the excess starch.
Then boil the potatoes to a point where they are half cooked, this will ensure they are nice and fluffy inside, I boil them for around 10-15 minutes.

While boiling preheat the oven and pour a generous amount of duck fat into the pan and put in the oven to get the fat nice and hot.  I struggled to find duck fat in the shops, however after some googling I found Gourmet Goldmine which had exactly what I wanted, duck fat (from France) a few clicks and a couple of days later it arrived.
Once the potatoes have boiled for long enough remove, drain and allow to cool slightly (around 5 minutes). Take the pan out of the oven and pop in the potatoes.  I put them in and then flip straight away with tongs to ensure full fat coverage.  Put in the oven, I have the oven on 200°C and put them in for 15 minutes, but it will all depend on your oven and the size of your potato pieces.  As a side note I don't follow recipes, I look at recipes and then vaguely follow while being guided with what I see, smell, taste and feel.  After 15 minutes take out and flip them over before popping in for another 15 minutes.  
And voila.  Perfect duck fat potatoes (with just a slight sprinkling of sea salt).  And if you are concerned about cooking with duck fat (and this is a moderation food not a daily food) perhaps have a read here.

A special thanks to my brother who was up on the weekend and took these photos.  He is much better than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment