Friday, September 14, 2012

Are You Having A Baby?

 Mr C as a baby, we had only taken him home 2 days earlier

Yesterday afternoon a client asked if I was having a baby.  I had to think about this as everyone in the office knows I am having a baby, a pug baby.  But then as I looked at her I realised she was staring at my belly.  My PCOS belly.

Since I left uni and my (then un-diagnosed) PCOS symptoms started, I have always been an apple shape and as time went on and my symptoms got worse my belly grew.  I always though I would be asked if I was pregnant, I thought it looked like I was always around 4 months along.  But no one ever said anything because it is a social rule never to ask, even if a woman looks like she is about to drop you still are not supposed to ask.

I said ''No".  The woman looked horrified and began apologizing and saying she shouldn't have said anything.  In the middle of this awkward moment I spewed forth verbal diarrhea of "No not yet" and "Only a dog" followed with "No drama don't worry about it".

But it has stuck with me.  I was wearing what I thought was a very flattering black dress that I doubt I will touch again.  I even had my special 'suck-in' undies on.  Maybe I am just not trying hard enough.   Maybe I am using my PCOS as an excuse to do a half job.  Sure PCOS is why I struggle with weight and why it sits around my belly but isn't it also my get out of jail free card for not losing weight?  I have PCOS therefore I can't lose weight? I have PCOS therefore I have a big belly and that means I don't have to do anything about it?  This client has certainly given me a lot to think about, perhaps I really do need to get on with a healthier lifestyle just a little bit more than I am. Maybe it is time to put more into my efforts and cut out the remaining excuses.  Perhaps her brazen comment was exactly the shake up I needed.  I know I will ponder this over the weekend in the back of my mind, that is until our new baby does come along on Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Love my suck in undies - I actually call them my tin pants. Bridget Jones eat your heart out!!
    Don't stress too much about someone elses comment.

    Hanging out to see the photos of the new addition.

    ReplyDelete