Thursday, July 9, 2015

Can You Keep A Secret?


Well I work with some people that can't. It's a painful learning experience when you discover some people can't keep a secret. When I first started here a few years ago, I mentioned something to a certain someone. It wasn't a secret as such, but I wasn't expecting it to be passed along. Yet it was, so I made a note to add this person to the DNT (Do Not Trust) Register.

Towards the end of last year this person, through her network, must have picked up on something. Because suddenly she took a role in our Western Sydney office which was just over a 3 hour round trip. She was always adamant she couldn't travel down there because of her kids, so it was a little strange. It was a job on a top secret project, one that was on the restructuring of the organisation. At the morning tea held for her farewell she told us she signed a confidentially agreement to not reveal to anyone about what was going to happen. I almost chocked on my cake, but hey, give her the benefit of the doubt, right?

No, I was right. She couldn't keep a secret and in due course told our manager what was going down. We were closing. Not just us, but the bulk of the regional and Sydney branches. When the CEO spends our $88 million dollar profit in 5 years and in that time stops us from running a profit, things have got to change. Of course our manager cannot keep anything to himself. There are no secrets in this place and this wasn't going to be the first.

He called me in, he looked serious. I wondered what the issue was, had I done something? Had I upset a client and they complained to head office? What? 
"The branch is closing, I thought I would give you the heads up, but don't tell anyone, I have told X, Y and Z, but whatever you do, don't tell A."
"Is this official?"
"Not yet, it will be, but H told me it is what she is working on, but she will be sacked if she tells anyone, so whatever you do, don't mention her name"

Talk about a rock and a hard place. He tells me confidential information then tells me not to say anything to anyone. So the question is can I keep a secret? Well is turns out I didn't need to, everyone knew and we were now all discussing it in the open. Except A, I felt bad for her, I didn't think it was fair, and I didn't sign a confidentiality agreement. But I do keep secrets, at least the ones that need keeping like personal and private ones. I sussed A out, turns out she knew anyway from another source. What was the point of the confidentially agreement?

The "restructure" is still a secret, even though it seems most of the organisation knows. The latest secret we have heard is on Monday we are being told about the "restructure", you know, officially. Can anyone keep a secret?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am usually pretty good at secret keeping and tend to sometimes forget what it was I was told anyway. I hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete