Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Say My Name


The post office lady knows my name, and she says it correctly too. My name is not common and there are quite a few variations of my name each with a different pronunciation. For most of my life I hated my name. No one knew how to say it, or spell it and I was always correcting people and I noticed people just tried not to use my name because they weren't sure. It would trip them up and they didn't want to go there.

This struggle is why I make an effort to use people's names when talking to them. As Dale Carnegie says a person's name is the sweetest sound in the world. For that reason when someone uses my name, saying it correctly and spelling it correctly (it took my mother-in-law 4 years to spell it correctly on the Christmas card) I do a little dance inside and instantly mark that person as someone special.

We have a PO Box, it is down the road at a little corner shop that also serves as post office, newsagent and TAB. That lady that runs it knows my name. Of course she does, it's on my mail that she stuffs in there each day. And given the amount of online purchases I make, especially around Christmas, a lot of boxes are lying around with my name on them waiting for me to collect. Over time she started asking my about my life and other bits and pieces and our relationship started to form and grow. But here is the thing, I don't know her name.

I know quite a few things about her, like she has a dog who is very old and doesn't move much and she doesn't have any children. As soon as I walk in she goes behind the counter to get my mail and my latest purchase, her service is wonderful, she asks about my day, I ask about hers. I smile, she smiles, we chat. She uses my name, and everytime I hear my name it feels like a dagger in my chest. It's too late to ask for her name now. Our relationship is too far gone. We have been acquaintances for years, and I cannot just walk in say "hello" and "FYI what's your name?" But I know she knows I don't know and everytime I hear my name spoken I cannot help but feel her mentally saying to me "Say My Name".

No comments:

Post a Comment