Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hello Friend


I caught up with a friend last week.  We had not seen each other for a few years and she has just moved to The Coast from Sydney, as I am sure a lot of my Sydney friends will, given enough time.  We actually met through blogging, a few years ago.  Meeting people through blogging is a great experience because there are so many blogs out there for people to choose from.  And a few special people choose to follow you, for whatever reason, and those people you usually have some kind of connection with.  We just clicked straight away, similar goals, ideals, dreams.  Time flew as we sat chatting over coffee.  It was almost like we had only just caught up the day before, we were able to so easily talk to each other. 

I met a girl a few weeks ago.  We started chatting and found out we had so much in common.  She asked for my phone number.  She was new to The Coast and didn't know anyone except for the people she worked with and her partner.  I gave it to her and we are catching up today.  I have struggled with friendships since we moved up here.  At first it was almost impossible because of the hours we were doing.  Then we moved and we seem to be the only people in this area without children.  We don't seem to have anything in common with the neighbours and I think they look at us and scratch their heads trying to work us out.  But with the majority of our friends an hour away it has been hard.  And meeting people now is hard.  I find it difficult when I meet someone and have an instant connection with them.  What am I supposed to do?  Give them my number and say call me?  It reminds me of dating and I don't know what the protocol is.  

One of the girls at work told me yesterday that she was home alone this weekend with her little girl and that if I was free I was more than welcome to come round and have a drink.  I feel so fortunate that suddenly I find myself forming a support group right here on The Coast.  I never felt lonely, but I did feel that I was lacking in some serious local, female bonding, it was something in the back of my mind, almost like a little note on my To-Do list 'seek out some local friends'.  Zig Ziglar says that "If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere."  Perhaps I made this shift, or maybe it was because I stopped being so busy that I was able to stop and get back into life.  Either way I am going to keep on doing whatever it is I am doing, being a friend to everyone I meet and grow these buds of friendship I have been so fortunate to find.

2 comments:

  1. Lordy do I know what you mean ... it is hard to develop friendships in a new place ... I know being a not very out going person I find it near on impossible and have no idea where to start. Time I think changes things, helps friendships develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making new friends is one of the hardest things to do. I moved 14 years ago and found it difficult. However once I had made that one contact the rest seemed to come along a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete