Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Young Love


I remember when Hubby and I first moved in together.  We were both living with our parents at the time.  I had moved out (and back) several times so I was able to contribute a little to the enormous list of "Things you need when you get your own place".  Hubby was living in a little flat at his parents, so he had a few things to.  Like the bed.  I was back in my single, childhood bed, so it was his Queen that made the journey down.  It was hideous and I hated it.  That first night, it was getting dark and he had just finished setting up the entertainment unit (priorities, priorities) so it was time to move onto the bed.  But there was a piece missing.  A crucial piece which meant we spent that first night sleeping on the mattress on the floor.  I woke up with an asthma attack because apparently that place had never met a Dyson before.  I wonder if Hubby was questioning what he had signed up for.  The bed went up the next day.  It was low to the ground and had this awful aqua blue felt thing that went around the entire bed.  It looked so...... bachelor.  I understand Hubby was, and that at the time many many years ago it was probably quite fashionable, but still.

We went up the road to the Supermarket to do a big shop.  You know the one where you easily spend over $200 just getting everything; food, cleaning products and those random items you think, yes we need that, like a washing up brush.  We discovered they sold bedding.  We picked out a blue sheet set, $19.95, what a bargain.  Back then I didn't care that it was a cotton/polyester blend.  It was affordable, cheap and would do the job, and that was the goal back then.

We didn't have a table and chairs.  His parents came down about a week later with a surprise.  It was an outdoor 4 seater setting.  I set it up inside the house.  It became our dining table for about 6 months.  Everything was so innocent.  We didn't really watch TV.  We would cook in the cockroach infested kitchen.  Simple meals; fry some meat, cook some rice, open a bottle of sauce, voila, dinner.  I would set the outdoor table, we would sit down to dinner, say Grace and turn on Love Song Dedications (radio).  We would eat, and then lean back in our chairs sipping Apple Cider, talking, learning more about each other every day.

That was all our life was, getting to learn about each other and learning to live together.  As soon as we walked in the door all our problems vanished and it was just the two of us and nothing else mattered.  It was all new and exciting and there was this sense that this was it, we had found each other.  I would look across at him during dinner and have this feeling that in 50 years time, I would be sitting down to dinner and looking into the eyes of this man in front of me.  This was love.

2 comments:

  1. Mr Sparky and I are in that 'new' phase ... learning to live together, scraping to make ends meet, waiting to get things until we absolutely need them and happily plodding along together.
    I love the term learning to live with each other ... interesting ... learning what buttons to and not to push, learning what you will tolerate and what you won't, learning what foods the other likes, learning sleeping patterns, etc, etc. It is fun and enlightening and you learn just as much about yourself as the other person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall moving out of home and having such basic things as the cardboard boxes with a piece of cloth over them as bedside tables.

    ReplyDelete