Sunday, March 10, 2013

Perfect Manhattan

On one of our Hunter Valley Weekends, we stumbled upon a bar with a cocktail list bigger than the wine list.  I thought I would venture away from what I was familiar with, and Hubby, well, he had no idea what to order, he chatted to the bartender who convinced him to try a Perfect Manhattan.  We sat and watched as the drink was made and nervously Hubby raised the glass to his mouth and with one sip he was won.  He declared it his favourite cocktail of all time (although truth be told I think he has only ever had 'Bourbon and coke' before this) and we enjoyed a night of cocktail-ing and devouring a plate of tapas listening to old school music and planning which vineyards we would squeeze in the next day.  During the week as I was back in Sydney I found a Deli and saw the maraschino cherries, freshly made, I bought some and knew that for this week I would have to relive our Hunter Valley Weekend, much to my Husband's delight.  Naturally this is our first ever time we have both agreed on 5/5

3 shots Rye Whiskey
1/2 shot Dry Vermouth
1/2 shot Sweet Vermouth
Shake all the ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with a maraschino cherry
Note: can substitute Rye Whiskey for Bourbon, but for authenticity I made this drink drink with 100% Rye Whiskey 

Hubby: Perfection, extra smooth, no harsh after taste, pure pleasure, 5/5
Me: Smooth with a clean finish, a perfect balance between sweet and dry, light and heavy, stick with 100% Rye to ensure the perfect balance, 5/5
Perfect for: The changing of the seasons from warm to cool, enjoy at the end of the night with special someone after a long day.
Try it: At home, I know many bartenders who cannot pull this off.

No comments:

Post a Comment