Thursday, December 13, 2012

It's Over


I broke up with The Pill just over a month ago.  Before anyone informs my MIL and she starts making booties, let me just clarify that it is not for the reason you usually come off.  At least not yet.  As I have mentioned before I have PCOS, and The Pill is great for it, it hides everything and makes you believe that even if you have PCOS you don't really have it because The Pill fixes everything.  

Some of the symptoms of PCOS are: no periods, facial hair, acne, thinning of the hair and weight gain.  Being on The Pill the only symptoms I have are weight gain, insulin resistance and cysts.  I don't know if I suffer from anything else and therefore I feel I really don't know how bad the condition is.  And to be really honest, it does cause issues with fertility and as much as Hubby and I joke about not having children, the reality is we do want them and we would like to start seriously thinking about it in a year or so.  

So in the last month I felt it was time to 'get real' as Dr Phil would say.  I decided the best thing I could do was to get off The Pill and find out exactly what is going on with my body and just how badly I have this thing known as PCOS.  Then once I know what I am dealing with I can go about treating it and getting my body in much better shape so that some time in the not too distant future Hubby and I can start to plan an addition to our family.

For the last few weeks things have been good, I have had a lot of headaches which apparently is quite normal otherwise it has been a smooth transititon.  Interestingly I do feel that I have more mental clarity like a fog has been lifted.  I have read a lot about The Pill and I am starting to wonder if it may have been the main factor in having PCOS and insulin resistance in the first place.  I have been on it since an early teenager when I had a bad acne problem and The Dr put me on it to fix it.  It did fix it and the few times I came off it my acne blew up again so naturally I went running straight back onto The Pill.  But those days are over, it is time to fix things for good and get in shape for whatever the future may hold. 

1 comment:

  1. So hope you find a happy medium, but with that positive outlook I have no doubts you will. I agree with you about letting your body tell you whats going on without the interference of drugs. Best wishes for the best outcome, xx

    ReplyDelete