Friday, December 21, 2012

Stressed?

Just a little.  I am tired, as every day this week after work I have been running around doing things, then I get home rest a little and then start running around the house doing things before going to bed at 11, which is an hour past my usual bedtime.  We are having Christmas Day lunch at our house.  This was never meant to happen and was only decided upon less than two weeks ago.  Very long story.  Fortunately it will only be for four people.  Next year is another story that I will not worry about until maybe September.

On top of all this I am working up until 12pm on Monday 24th and tomorrow morning after a quick dash to Sydney for an appointment that cannot be cancelled we then have to race back to meet my in-laws, who are bringing with them my sister-in-law, her partner and her children who have never seen the house.  So of course we want to make the house looking as lovely as possible, but it is hard when I am also trying to get ready for Christmas Day.  A little voice in my head is saying "Welcome to Married Life".

The house is ok, clearly we won't show them the junk room cos the work in that has stalled of late and we are going to try our best to hide the yard, which after the recent bout of landscaping looks like a bomb has hit it.  Next year when we have everyone for Christmas the landscaping will be complete and we will have a lovely timber deck to sit out on and enjoy.  The house will be open to all and no room excluded and the walls will be covered with photos and mementos.  I think that is what annoys me most, how it still looks like a display home with very little personal touch.

Which brings me to one of my goals for 2013: Operation House to Home.  It is time to make this house truly ours and make it the house we see in our minds.  It will take a whole year (maybe more) but I want to be able to look around this time next year and be proud, and to feel that this is our place.

For now we will do the best we can, just to get through until the 28th when things have settled, we have seen both families and we can squeeze in just a little alone time before the New Year.  Better get back to it, the floors await my attention.

1 comment:

  1. the joy and the stress of the festive season. Mr Wokaholic gave me one days notice to cater for a Christmas Luncheon for his workplace today!! Got to love the festive season.

    ReplyDelete