Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Rural Escape - Reason #1

One reason I set up this blog was because I wanted a space to dream about our goal of one day living in rural Australia on a very large parcel of land with all the animals and plants we can possibly get away with.  I love where I am now, but I do get frustrated, so in an attempt to focus on my goal, make me smile and get out all my frustrations, I felt it was time to start making a list of reasons why we want this dream.

I want our Rural Escape so I can walk around my backyard naked if I choose too.  Now, I do not walk around my backyard naked here.  I have never walked around naked outside my house ever before in my life.  However, should I suddenly feel like doing so, it would be nice to know I would have the freedom to step out the back door and go for a stroll in total confidence that no one can see me.

Our house now.  On the Eastern side, we sit above our neighbour, we can see everything that goes on in their backyard, including the recent birthday party they had for one of the children.  We can also see what goes on in the backroom as the large windows do not have any window dressings.  Just to be clear, we do not make a habit of looking over, we are not those kind of neighbours, and I make a point of keeping my head down and not looking over, but we can if we want.

To our West, our neighbours are higher than us and as such can sneak a look into our yard.  I know this because our sliding door faces directly from a bedroom window in the neighbours house and when a van pulled up in front of our house with our blinds, I went around every room pulling off the sheets we used as a temporary cover and there was our neighbour 'having a sticky' from her window.  The first of many such "Stickys".

Hubby and I are very private people, we like our lives to be private and we respect other people's privacy, Hubby is from a small acreage himself.  It would just be really nice to walk outside knowing no one can see you.  In a world where everything is recorded having our own truly private oasis would be a little slice of heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Oh fellow Rural dreamer .. I hear you loud and clear! I think you want the feeling of being really alone and free - not feel like you live in a goldfish bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a goldfish bowl is exactly how I feel where we are now. Nothing makes me happier than being in the middle of a paddock with no one else around me.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just hate the sticky nosed neighbours that come with suburbs.

    ReplyDelete