Thursday, August 20, 2015

Perfectionism and Procrastination


I had a blog about a decade ago, and I loved it. I enjoyed writing and interacting with other people and watching our little community form and start to grow. I had a job I didn't like much at the time and it was such a treat to come home and say what was on my mind and catch up on the minds of my new virtual friends. But as the blog grew so did the pressure. The pressure for it to be perfect. I reached a point where I froze. I stopped. Procrastination took over and I never went back.

A few years ago I started this blog, my little space in the online universe to record my thoughts and musings. It felt nice to blog again, I didn't realise how much I missed it. But the perfectionism came back and I began to worry about the content and putting out perfect posts. And as a result I slowed down, and this blog has only just plodded along quite randomly in between bouts of procrastination.

I wanted to make a bigger commitment and get over this hump. I was exploring other blogs and then it because worse because they all had a theme. When I googled 'blogging tips' it always came back with having a theme for your blog. So I procrastinated over my theme-less blog. After thinking it over I realised my blog theme is me, and just like me, I have many themes in my life. Many interests and passions, some big, some small. I grow restless with repetition and monotonousness and need to drop things and come back to them later. I cannot commit to a theme on this blog. Life is too rich for me to be so specific.

After this I thought about my blog name. I thought it may give the wrong impression, like I am a journalist for a country lifestyle magazine, writing about rural escapes and flooding this space with heart singing landscape images. So I pondered if I should start again. But what name could I pick that would sum up all of my parts.

Rural dreaming is the most perfect name, because while I have so many dreams, they all link to my rural dreams. A comfy house in the country, surrounded by family and friends staying for a handful of days. And we cook using local ingredients and we eat and we drink. And in these dreams I have my most perfect job and lots of fresh air. There is the occasional weekend escape to the coast and the city where I can indulge in my former city girl life. And in all this I still find time for my most favourite pastime of all, daydreaming.

1 comment:

  1. I left a comment but I think it disappeared! Much love to you my beautiful blogger friend xx

    ReplyDelete